THINKING OF A DECK? THINK AHEAD.
For information about purchasing decking products use the information below or fill out the contact from.
(08) 6805 8655 firstname.lastname@example.org
When it comes to building a deck, it’s worth thinking long-term. While some costs are simple, others cost you things more precious…like a lazy lunch with the kids, time with the newspaper, and straight-up patience. Below, we cover the five decision points to help you choose what’s right for you, your backyard, and your budget.
1. MATERIAL: WHAT’S IT MADE OF?
Trex high performance composite decking offers enhanced protection against the elements, and beautiful features
HIGH-PERFORMANCE COMPOSITE DECKING
The ultimate in backyard decking, high-performance composite is wrapped in a tough-as-nails finish that keeps the beauty in, and the work out. 3rd Generation.
- Soap-and-water maintenance
- Fade, stain, scratch and mold resistant
- Natural wood grain finish and rich colour
- Fade and stain warranties
- Often costlier board-for-board
PVC (VINYL) DECKING
All plastic material with no organic content. 2nd Generation.
- Stain, scratch, and mold resistant
- Low maintenance
- Finished look without painting
- Not resistant to temperature fluctuations
- Tends to squeak and get chalky
- Not earth-friendly
- Can fade
- Costlier board-for-board
EARLY-GENERATION COMPOSITE DECKING
Your first-generation wood-alternative board. Part wood, part plastic, all easygoing. 1st Generation.
- Won’t rot or splinter
- A great, durable value
- Can fade and stain
- Prone to mould and mildew
- Requires periodic cleaning with deck wash
- Susceptible to scratches
For the purist, a wood deck is real and natural, with a pleasing heft.
- Traditional, one-with-nature feel
- Affordable board-for-board
- Easy to work with, easy to source
- Rots, splits, swells, twists, fades
- Contributes to deforestation
- One word: splinters
- Pressure-treating chemicals are toxic
- Requires painting, staining or sealing
HOW HARD IS INSTALLATION?
The cost of building a deck can be 20-50% labour, so it’s important to consider whether or not this is a DIY project, or one best left to the pros.
Some of the hidden costs may surprise you. For instance, composites are as easy to handle as wood and usually require no special tools, while PVC is more difficult to customize.
HOW MUCH UPKEEP ARE WE TALKING?
Beyond the initial premium cost of composite decking, the cost of maintaining, replacing and simply hating the mess other products can turn into is worth a run through the calculator.
In the long run, the relative costs (think pressure washing, waterseal, stain, weekend-filling chores) even out.
LOTS OF DESIGN OPTIONS?
Some materials enable customizable design options—everything from curves to multiple colours and wood grain patterns—while others are more limited in scope.
When choosing a material for your project, it’s helpful to keep your priorities in mind: are you looking for great design options, the best value, or maybe a product that offers a balance of both.
WHAT’S IT WORTH WHEN I MOVE?
Some products add more value and joy to a home than others. The more carefree and eco-friendly the deck, the more attractive it is to potential home buyers…that is, if you can ever dream of moving.